This is the latest work i am busy with. I am working on the finish i will get after firing,i am wanting the top of the crackle to sinter out just a bit so i can add what ever i want to the background body.
These bottle shapes have had a terra sigillata cote and have been fired to 1020.The thin one has had two different colors
of terra on and the darker one can be seen to bleed through here and there. I have used a low temp glaze to mask off the parts not to be affected by the smoke. So we shall see how they come out after the smoke fire.
Here i made this box with a flip top , the hinge has a piece of plastic coated wire in it that i put in after glazing.
This is a low temp. red that has had some iron chromate and frited iron solution sprayed onto the glaze before baking to 1050 c. This is normally a deeper red but now there are flashings of orange and yellows. Different but..
Here are some pics of lamp shades that are made from porcelain with a wash out technique before bisc fire. The blue is a diluted solution of cobalt sulphate . They have a cone 6 satin glaze on them.
I have come up with some new shapes and methods of getting these shapes. I am looking to find a form that will look good with a soda ash glaze , an earthy orange that you get from a wood firing. I want to replicate this in an electric firing. Here are a few of the tests i have done. If these are successful on the larger pieces i will add the method and recipes to the glazes and glazing section of this site.
Here are the new forms i have come up with. The object of the exercise is to make both forms into box forms with lids. Just having a problem getting the lids to fit as i have to work with soft clay to get the shape of the lid to fit the form of the box.