This is the outcome of our raku tests yesterday. The clay mix stood up very well but our glazing was too thin on some pieces and had cold spots in the oven that we have to sort out before next test run.
These are two porcelain bottles that were first fired with a white cone 6 glaze to make them waterproof then i sprayed on a low temp iron glaze with a good amount of clay in it so it stuck to the glazed surface. I then sprayed Albany slip over in places then a Lichen glaze. I then used a blow torch to get the lichen to jump off in places. Then low temp. fired to 1020. deg.
This is a large container that was slab constructed. Before bisc i put on a layer of under glaze then a copper carb. wash that i sponged off. After bisc i applied a dry glaze with a craw glaze on top. Low fire. This pot i am going to refire in a sagger to smoke it. I want the bare clay parts to be black.
Here is a ceramic box that is made from a low fire red clay that i sprayed with terra sigillata , albany slip and then a crawl glaze.
Here is a comparison of the piece before and after the smoke fire. Terra sigillata raw and sig that has sintered out.
Here are some pots that came out of the raku today. pots made by Veronique of Keramiek Veronique.
These bottle shapes have had a terra sigillata cote and have been fired to 1020.The thin one has had two different colors
of terra on and the darker one can be seen to bleed through here and there. I have used a low temp glaze to mask off the parts not to be affected by the smoke. So we shall see how they come out after the smoke fire.
This is a stoneware paperclay body that i used a slab roller and a texture stamp to make. It has been glazed to cone 6 with the following recipe ,—- Porcelain body clay, dry (low temp porcelain 1250c ) 20% / Silica -20% / Wollastonite – 20% / cal bor. frit 5 % / Borax – 15 %/ added 2% red iron ox. and 1% copper carb. The glaze sits well on the body with no cracks but i would like less shine, but not a bad glaze. This was cone six with a 20 min soak. Next time i will add a bit of fine rutil to give it a bit of life.
Here i made this box with a flip top , the hinge has a piece of plastic coated wire in it that i put in after glazing.