I cut up two packs of “Special Porcelain” from Scarva. This i am going to dry out as this makes a very good slip that i spray over most of my stoneware work and use it for slip patterns in the middle of the large platters i make.This i will also use to make some paper porcelain.Once dry , some of this will also be used to make terra Sigilata.
Here are some of my latest small projects. These works i use to fill up the empty spaces in the kiln, but i must admit i like creating these pieces. The boats are made by using a mold i made for the underside of the boat ( hull ) and the top or deck is made by using a lino cutout.The cut out is made with normal lino cutting tools but i use a soft floor or wall tile that gives me greater depth of cut. A plaster mold could also be made for the deck but i find the lino cut easy and faster. A slab of paperclay is is first rolled out on the slab roller then lino cutout is dusted with household bread or cake flour to stop it sticking ( NOT MUCH JUST A DUSTING ). The slab is then rolled over the lino cutout with a small hand roller. Lift the slab away and you have the imprint of the upper deck for your boat. Let this dry for a while so that you are able to work with it without it collapsing I normally leave it overnight with a sheet of plastic over but laying flat on a wooden surface . The wood ( or MDF ) takes on the moisture from the clay. When the molded hull and deck are ready the two can be put together with a paperclay slip. It is really worth your while to make a batch of paperclay slip as this has not failed me yet and the joining can be done on quite dry clay.The piece is worked off by making the join look seamless then finish off with a wet mop paint brush that will wash away the extra slip and take away sharp edges.
.Here are a few pics of the lino cut outs ext. If you want a rowing boat then before the clay is too dry cut the unwanted pieces out the deck.
This large plater came down from the drying rack today. It was made with a paper clay mix on the kick wheel. The inside pattern was made by adding a thick slip into the middle and then creating the pattern with the use of a piece of hard foam with grooves cut in it.
I later turned the sides up when it was a bit dryer to get the square shape.The handles were made by rolling out thin slabs on a textured plate that i made. These were then rolled up and attached with a slip made with lots of paper in the mix. Lastly i pushed a stamp in at the attachment points of the handles.